View Single Post
Old Posted May 31, 2007, 12:19 AM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
I was listening to the K Street meeting today, and there was a speaker that really caught my attention.

His name was Jim Brennan, he the one that is renovating the Atkins Building at 10th and K in the office condos and ground floor restaurant. He said he has also acquired the Kress Building, 920, 924, 930 K Street (which are the 3 buildings on south-west most corner of 10th and K) and the most intriguing, The Crest Theater.

He said they are going to reposition The Crest into a performing art center.

He's a Juilliard School Grad that has done projects in the Gaslamp, SOMA and was the main driver behind getting Louise Davies for seed money for the Louise Davies Symphony Hall in SF, along with work on the Opera House and Ballet Building in SF.

Seeing The Crest as a performing arts center would be a pretty darn cool thing. One down side though would be I'm not sure they would still show films.
This sounds like the same Jim Brennan that has done a lot of work in San Diego (I see you mentioned Gaslamp). If true, Sacramento should be delighted with what he'll bring to town. His Stingaree (old name for San Diego's Gaslamp) is perhaps the number one club downtown. His group spared no expense. He is an ethical, diligent, and visionary proponent of downtowns and having him on board along K Street is an outstanding sign. I'd be shocked if he wanted to change the Crest in any structural way as he has shown great sensitivity to preservationist's concerns.

He wouldn't know me from Adam, but I'm familiar with some of his work downtown and his reputation. He will be an incredible asset for a K Street renaissance.

This is good news in an otherwise dreary week.