View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Does Canada classify Persians as Asian? In the U.S. they would fall into caucasian - white category.
In Canada the category "West Asian" would probably be meant to include them, though to what extent they follow this self-identification I'm not sure.

Canada doesn't really have a blanket "Asian" category anyways -- individual Asian groups are listed separately like South Asian, West Asian, Chinese, etc., unlike the US which defines a large "Asian" category, and to get the number of Asian Canadians, you'd just have to sum it up yourself based on adding the categories that represent Asia, based on which one you want to include/exclude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The Canadian and U.S. % white will not be directly comparable because Middle Eastern and North African populations are white in U.S. context.

In some metros, like say Toronto, or LA, this makes a big difference. Toronto would be "more white" under US rules, and LA "less white" under Canadian rules.

Or, in my neck of the woods, Bay Ridge, Brooklyn probably has the biggest Arab North African population in the Americas (lots of Egyptians, esp., and decent numbers of Algerians and Moroccans, who are rare in the Americas). But the neighborhood per Census is overwhelmingly white.
More than Montreal? Well, if we're talking NYC's metro compared to Montreal's metro I wouldn't be surprised based on sheer size, but I think Montreal's one of the few areas with sizable North African demographics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
In general, different countries census' will always conveive these sorts of subjective concepts a little differently - much like metro populations or anything else. And in Canada's case, statistics on race are a measure of personal identity rather than actual genealogical heritage.
Aren't they all based on personal identity? I mean, no one really is going to check up on whether you're correctly filling in the box. The government's not going to pay for someone's DNA test either. Genealogical heritage itself for people of mixed origins is also often selectively paid attention to -- often people of mixed origins put the most salient group -- eg. someone half-white, half-non-white might put the visible minority group rather than identify as white due to perceived appearance or racialization by others.