View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
S Klein is being replaced by two new towers for the new Prudential HQ.

I agree Newark hasn't done a good job of historic preservation, but a new Prudential HQ is much more important, IMO. Much of the old downtown retail is being converted into lofts anyways, so the fabric will remain, for the most part.
Newark has done a terrible job on everything, I'm afraid. Teachers village seems to be the first big development done right, finally! Most new builds are a continuation of the sterile and cold developments with no ground level retail that just adds more dead space to Newark streets. (For example, the new Panasonic headquarters as well as the new Prudential development, from what we can all see in the renderings.)

I still think the best thing would have been to preserve the existing buildings or at least keep their facades but have new structures in their place. That way Halsey can continue to be developed as Newarks "boutique/restaurant" corridor. The new sterile Prudential development completely destroys this vision, or at least interrupts it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Alot of the Parking lots in Downtown will be covered by 2025 , I can't say that for the rest of Newark but there's been a Boom as with the rest of this region. Theres over 25 projects underway , High Rise Construction , Rehabbing old buildings for Mixed usage , alot of new hotels are planned , a convention center , a few new schools. They've stopped allowing demolitions for the most part however a few Downtown Buildings will go to make way for New Corporate offices like Prudential , Sony North America , alot of new high rises will have multiple slots for retail on street level.... Theres alot of infill going on in University Heights and the Ironbound , mostly mixed use....and in North Newark. In the Ironbound there encouraging businesses to take off the vinyl sidings....
Actually more demolitions are on the way. An entire block of buildings on Market street is slated to come down for more office space. Again, totally unnecessary when almost half of downtown is surface parking anyway. Is Sony North America relocating to Newark? It'd be great if you can provide a link. As for the the vinyl sidings, good grief! It's about time they started getting rid of those.