View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
I think you do understand my point.

Although 'place of local and national historic importance' is more in line of what I, the CoV and the federal govt regard chinatown as.
No, I don't understand your point. Ethic enclaves have always shifted over time. Why is Chinatown more significant that Commercial Drive's Little Italy? Let's be honest, other than a few recessed balconies, is the architecture really any more interesting than numerous other neighbourhoods of the same age in Vancouver? Should the West End have been preserved in aspic circa 1950, with its unique Queen Anne style wooden homes? Should Burkeville have been fozen in time to preserve its unque company town architecture, rather than have it being redeveloped as it is now with McMansions? Historic Site designation is often more political than aything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
i'm not denying chinatown's demographics are changing; but then again, i'm not advocating for the destruction of large swaths of chinatown's built enviornment for a freeway right-of-way.

and you didn't answer my question:

you would prefer to demolish areas for a freeway right-of-way thru a national historic area than what is present now?
Yes.

The significance to its community was already changing. Contrary to popular belief, the Chinese immigrating to Canada post 1965 wasn't settling in Chinatown, anymore than the Japanese settled around around Powell Street post 1949.

Given the choice between sacrificing one neighbourhood, versus what was sacrificed around other arterials, why do you pick Chinatown?