View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 4:33 AM

On our third day we rented a car and headed west to check out the famous Blue Mountains National Park.

Driving out of Sydney takes some time due to the traffic, which can be really bad.

First we wanted to check out Wentworth Falls.

The trail down to the falls is very interesting and I wish we would have had time to continue further down!

Wentworth Falls is tiny in late fall, but still respectable 187 meters tall.

Back up the view of Jamison Valley is spectacular. I guess you can tell why they call this region Blue Mountains.

Three Sisters is a famous rock formation nearby. There is even a gondola that you can ride to get a better view.

Note the green stairs on the left side of this photo. You can get between the formation where the winds blow really hard (see video).

Video Link

A week before we traveled to Australia there were newspaper articles in Europe about some severe sand storm in the Sydney area that had originated in the Outback. Week later, this dirty car is the only proof of that storm that we could find.

The next day we continued westwards. Some meadows along the highway.

Our destination of the day was Jenolan Caves where one can drive through a huge cave to reach the tourist center!

Jenolan Caves is a large cave system and this model only shows the most common sections.

Underground it is dim but they have installed permanent lights along the most common trails. It is a very interesting small tour that takes you through several caves. Not for those afraid of tight spaces!

Biggest of the caves is called Lucas Cave. They even have concerts in this massive underground space!

Video Link

Inside one cave they have installed colorful lights.

It's a very interesting tour that I highly recommend and definitely worth the drive from Sydney!

Next some more photos from Sydney. Stay tuned for a lot more!