View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
Which I'm fine with, as long as some kind of provision is made for safe, well-lit pedestrian access through the creek/park from the other side in order to break up that monster block and allow people access to King George. There should at the very least be plans in the works to extend 97 ave eastwards so that it terminates at the creek bed; a West End-style parkette comprising the creek itself would then be all that separates residents from the businesses on King George. Mind you, those late 80s/early 90s low-rise sprawl buildings lining the north side of 96th aren't helping the situation any, but by the look of them I wouldn't be surprised if they are torn down in twenty years.

My point is that the city grid layout should be improved in lockstep with these major projects as much as possible (the same way Vancouver extracts community amenities from developers), else the newly built environment will simply reinforce a car-scale street grid that will be difficult to alter until after the buildings are ready to be torn down in another fifty or so years. In the interim, my feeling is that this pedestrian-unfriendly grid scale, if unchanged, will do very little to enhance the city centre's supposed status as the region's upcoming "second downtown."
its parking too on the other side they can wak through the tax centre parking lot if they decide to walk