View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
didnt CIBC have a huge failed US expansion which played a role in its market cap falling
Yep, they took a big one on the chin with their poor investments in the US. That's what led to their decline. I know - I used to work for them.
However, they're still a very profitable company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I wonder how many employees will be laid off while others have their workloads increased or will they just slash more benefits to pay for this new expenditure? I realize it sounds crazy but, this is exactly what happens with every big move. They are not going to dip into their profits.
You can say that about any company in many situations. Companies often spend a lot of money just to give their clients the optics of being successful - like building a new high-tech and opulent office. Or when companies making bad investments that cut into their profits. Job cuts often happen as a result.

If Scotiabank didn't spend the 800 million on this, they would've spend it elsewhere... whether it's a better or worse investment... and it probably would also result in layoffs.