View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 6:10 PM
Recent Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
I'm not sure whether this has been answered already, but property taxes are included [i.e. hidden] in the rent you pay for an apartment. Apparently the tax rate for apartment dwellers is higher than for home owners but I've got no facts to back that up, it's just something I've always been told. In terms of a condo, I can only assume taxes are paid separately from the fees.
Not really, as the rent you pay can technically go towards anything the owner wants. Stating that it is specifically restricted for taxes makes no sense; no governing body can enforce what an owner spends his rental income on. Let me re-iterate: renters do not pay any property tax. You don't receive and MPAC assessment in your name, neither do you receive a CoH tax assessment in your name, therefore you don't pay property taxes. The owner received those statements, therefore he pays the taxes. He might choose to use your rent to pay for it... he might not.

Now, as far as it being higher, it is in buildings with 6 or more (I think) units in them. This is to cover the vast increase in services that a multi-family property uses, such as: Police/fire/ambulance/school/and various other government services.

They are all (as they should be) sort of based on a PER PERSON basis, not a PER HOUSEHOLD basis. A structure having 10 families will generally use far more resources (listed above) than a single family home will; hence the higher tax rates.

They can't just x10 the same rate as a single family home, as that would be insane, so they just increase the rate a little to help offset the large extra cost.

I hope some of this makes sense; and I apologize if I came off as an ass. I'm just trying to clear things up a little.