View Single Post
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Someone earning 160k can make ends meet in San Francisco if they are not careless with their spending. I know because I have several friends who manage to do so. Not denying that it's not an expensive city but this is one of the headlines that a political and partisan poster who's always pushing their agenda would love.
Did you read the article? I'm sure you have a friend that can make it on 160k in SF, that's not the point of the article.

The twitter employee is in his 40's, married with two kids. The article further states that he and his family are scrapping by, being replaced by 20 somethings, that have no problem shacking up together and splitting high rent 3 or 4 different ways, pushing prices up and driving families out of SF.

My comment was a response to this statement by Pedestrian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Due to the cost of living, there is a slow, steady outflow of retiring baby boomers and some other native born folks from coastal California but they are being replaced by newer generations of immigrants and young, single college grads. The TV show "Siiicon Valley" accurately shows the phenomenon of 5 or 6 young grads living communally in a home occupied 20/30/40 years ago buy a middle class family (such a family being able to afford it today being scarce).
And it was this statement from the article I provided that reminded me of Pedestrian's post.

Quote:
"Families are priced out of the market," he says, explaining that it's hard to compete with the hordes of 20-somethings willing to pile into a shared house — and still pay $2,000 per person for a room.