View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The viaducts are not the issue, the area is dead today because there is nothing there. The city is allowing NEFC to be zoned and built out indepently of the viaducts. That means the city could still tear them down at a future date w/o impacting what will be built there. That is the safest approach to take. Let the area develop and then we can examine if it's fine or if something needs to be done with them. Personally I don't like them, but I don't see a better solution so I'm for letting them stand and working with them.
Exactly. Why remove them now when there is plenty of land around them (and between them) left to develop first. Build up the area and then we'll really see if we really do need them or not instead of tearing them down on an idealogical dream.

I personally think we'll find we would miss them if they weren't there and replaced with a busy traffic snarled yuppie neighborhood. But there is a lot we need to build first before we can really judge.

For me, the only real counteroffer they can make to tear down the Viaducts is to build Skytrain under Hastings into Burnaby. It's the only thing that might alleviate traffic in the area enough to help the new neighborhood cope.