Thread: Google maps
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 1:52 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I'm just not convinced that having a picture of my house, even with me visible in the frame, that is anywhere from months to years old, is going to help anyone round me up and throw me in the slammer.
I'm not either, but who knows what stupid (and potentially horrible) laws might come up in the future.

I'm not worried about the present - this stuff is all in public anyway. I'm worried about what happens when someone in the future adds Streetview to property ownership records, and applies that against some sort of hysteria that we can't even imagine now. Maybe we'll see a crusade against people who at one point owned SUVs or something. Had one parked in the driveway in the past 10 years? Off to the carbon offset camps for you!

Don't forget, even in supposedly "free" countries like the US, we had people's lives completely ruined over things they did 20 years in the past. Imagine a modern-day "Red Scare" over something stupid like what colour your hair was, or whether or not you had siding vs stucco on your house. Remember, in the 1930s no one in their right mind would possibly consider attending a political meeting to be somehow dangerous in the future. Most people would have laughed you out of the room if you had suggested anything of the sort.

Seems about as silly as worrying about the government knowing your religion (incidentally, most Canadians are happy as clams to report this even today), and yet here we are forgetting history on a regular basis.

Do I worry about Streetview? Not in the least. Do I worry about most people having zero clue about the possibilities? Absolutely.