View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 2:32 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

We have several new projects in this update!

Don't sleep! Stay up late for your updates!
Video Link

Creative Corridors:
This project reminds me of the Theme Building at LAX. It's the Theme Bridge at John Gold Expressway. You can tell many of the architects working on these Creative Corridors projects are from the west coast.

The color-changing LED lights are now on at the arches - This bridge is completed:

Credit: winstonwatchman

New Aerospace Engineering Jobs:
Rockwell Collins Aerospace is moving engineering and program management operations from Tucson to their offices in Winston-Salem.

Salem Paper Mixed-use:
David Eagan, of development company CMC, has placed 1040 and 1064 Northwest Boulevard and 1149 Canal Drive under contract and would like to close at the end of next month. All three buildings are located between Hanes Park and West End Millworks. These buildings will be renovated into an adaptive-reuse project containing 100 apartments, retail, and office space. You can easily walk to the park, Hoots Brewery, and the under construction Joymongers Barrel Hall (brewery) from these buildings.

One of the three brick buildings to be purchased for the mixed-use project:

Credit: GSV

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:
An update on the office space for creative and tech companies.

Credit: smallbusinesscenterforsyth

Village Juice Expansion:
Village Juice is expanding! They have an old warehouse in downtown's Northwest Industrial District and will convert it into a massive juicing facility to make their healthy beverages. This is the same Winston-Salem-based company building the juice and poke restaurant in Twin City Lofts Condominiums.

A kombucha brewing facility and headquarters was recently built near Broad Street and now a juicing facility is starting constructing. It's great to see the growth in beverages made in downtown.

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
The Cambridge Innovation Center (CIC) will open in Turbine Hall on February 22. I'm still waiting for the official completion of this project. Maybe it's February 22?

Credit: jenny.howard9

Credit: sandy_shep

Rock Box Bouldering: Built!
This downtown rock climbing facility is now completed. This was an adaptive-reuse of an old industrial building in downtown's Produce District. It is located at the intersection of Chestnut Street and Tenth Street. This is a rock climbing gym, so you do have to join. I think they have veteran and student discounts, if you're interested?

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: tewingate

Kaleideum Science Museum:
Frank L. Blum Construction was selected as the General Contractor for this project. They will soon begin preconstruction for the downtown museum.

Alternative Transportation:

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge:

Demolition of the 1916 Salem Iron Works Building for a new park and an elevated bike & pedestrian path:

Credit: richardndowns