View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 6:58 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
It's not just about going to the mountains, etc. We still don't have a downtown grocery store. Walgreens is still your best bet for buying toilet paper downtown. Basic services and shopping are still completely lacking. The unfortunate fact is that today, living in downtown Denver without a car is extremely inconvenient, and requires a serious sacrifice. It's not a choice that many "choice" buyers will make. And let's be honest, if you can afford new construction pricing, you can afford a car. The only reason you would choose not to have one, and put youoming.rself through that level of inconvenience, is to make a statement. There are some of those people, but not many. I would never ever consider a unit that didn't have a dedicated parking space - it just wouldn't be a smart decision for a young professional to make in Denver. We don't quite have the critical mass yet. But it's coming.
Agreed. If you are living near central downtown it's not going to be the easiest when you need to just head to the store real quick. Luckily these people will have a King Soopers very much so within walking distance on Speer, but you have to cross Speer. Anything else you need, you still gotta head to the neighborhoods. There is nothing of the sort in 'city center'. When I lived in Cap Hill, I went without a car for about a year and it wasn't too bad yet still very tedious at times.

But if I were to live in CBD [which I changed my mind about], that would be a bigger nightmare because of the lack of 'common amenities'. I'm not counting 20th and Chestnut being a 'downtown' grocer. That's still in a neighborhood. I will count a 15th and Welton area a real downtown grocer even though Target is claiming that territory.

As Bunt said, we're getting there. Slowly but surely. These people will at least have a nearby grocer but if you need to go to the hardware store, etc you're hoping in your car. Once we start getting on this inter-city rail thing it'll hopefully get better. We're adding close to 7,000 units right now and almost every unit will have a car, what's that going to do with our traffic. [but that's a different discussion on a different thread]
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream