View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 7:27 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
They usually can't be. Ramps are permanent, and garages tend to have extremely low floor-to-ceiling heights.

PS, RyanD, those new units shouldn't add much to traffic...if they already work Downtown the biggest result will be shorter commutes, and better mode splits if they no longer drive. As for the 7,000 figure, I've seen a number around half that...what's the 7,000, geographically and timewise?
Why the assumption that everyone works downtown? Everyone I know (myself included) is forced to reverse commute these days. (Another discussion we have frequently in our Denver thread.) Downtown isn't even our largest employment center, and certainly not the fastest growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
No supermarket? What happened to the Safeway that was somewhere near the Civic Center, or so I vagely recall? And what about corner stores and "1/3 supermarkets"? Denver's core population should at least support that.
I assume you're talking about the Safeway up at 20th and Washington? I'm not sure you have a good feel of distances in Central Denver. But that is not a walk, that's a drive or a bus ride (which is terribly inconvenient). Downtown Denver and the downtown neighborhoods have an enormous footprint. Good for bike sharing in summer - terrible for non-auto modes the rest of the year. You'd think we'd support a lot of things, but so far, retail has been painfully slow to materialize.

I'm not saying what "should" be, I'm just telling you what is. Everybody who lives in Central Denver drives to Glendale Target to shop (to the point that it's a bad joke), drives to Glendale 24-Hour Fitness, drives to Cherry Creek, drives to King Soopers... drive a lot of places. Maybe there *are* other options, but if people aren't using them, then they're probably not very good options. Certainly not for people who value their time.