View Single Post
Old Posted May 31, 2007, 1:31 AM

sugit that's great news. Repositioning the Crest into a performing art center will bring a whole never level to the mall. The Crest might be "multipurpose" already but I've never seen a play there.

wburg I hope you're not going to be my nemesis. It'll be ironic cuz I'm really big on historical preservation. However, I don't see the value in 'living in the past'. I'm convinced that Sacramento had a vibrant downtown in the past. And I pretty much understand what happen. Alas Time marches on and nothing we say or do will turn back the clock. My 98 grandmother used to say to me that the "good old days" were not all that good. There were some 'bad old days" too but people chose not to remember those. There were big slum areas and 'hobo' camps but nobody talks about those.

Inclusionary housing may not be limited strictly to SRO residents but they come under that policy and that's what we were talking about. I'm not saying that SROs should go "somewhere else" but I think the old approach of housing the gov. subsized poor all together in sub-standard facilities is a big mistake and that they should be opened to mixture of lower incomes and the rent-controlled so that guy shlepping lattes will be able to afford a place downtown.

While SRO's elsewhere may not be a detriment to their neighborhood that is certianly not the case in downtown Sacramento. Even in San Diego where the cost of rents is much greater and has been lucky to have enlightened developers is now putting on the brakes on SROs.