View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 9:42 PM

I also find it interesting that there is no set of renderings for the tower among the materials.
i.e. the assumption being that the tower must be too ugly or plain to present via renderings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I've always assumed that those two buildings on the block will not be replaced, but rather added to the park, when it comes time to demolish them. The way one condo tower will sit on that block is weird, and almost undemocratic in expression.
Blame the view cones.

The odd thing about the siting is that the tallest tower in the area will now block the VIEW of the park (and the openness provided by the park) from many of the shorter towers in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
What is vertical green screen? Must be something that costs slightly more than metal panels because it (green screen) only goes half way up.
I assumed it meant "green wall" i.e. plants in pots.

I wonder if the units will come with a warning about adjacent dog park noise? or extra soundproofing?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Va...573/story.html

Quote:

Emery Barnes Park sits below the balconies of the Jubilee House social housing complex.
Photograph by: Dan Toulgoet , Vancouver Courier

For a person standing on the open walkway on the fourth floor of the Jubilee House social housing complex at Richards and Helmcken streets, the fenced off-leash area of Emery Barnes Park is within spitting distance.

It’s the same with the open windows of Brooklyn Court, directly adjacent to the dog park, where on Wednesday morning as many as 10 dogs charged around the small fenced area. Soon a fight began with yelping, growling and barking.

According to Jubilee resident Ron Dobson, dog fights, barking dogs and what he said are aggressive owners are a constant in the park around the clock and are ruining the lives of the tenants in the social housing complexes. The majority of the tenants living in both buildings are disabled, elderly or both.

“Sometimes the barking is so bad I can’t eat and throw my dinner out,” said 65-year-old Dobson, whose small studio apartment overlooks the dog park. “It’s affecting my sleep and my health.”

Dobson said when he’s yelled down asking owners to quiet their dogs, he’s been greeted with threats, rude hand gestures and laughter.

He’s convinced the off-leash area was placed in that corner of the park so as not to annoy the wealthy condo owners living near the other end. He regularly complains to the city’s 311 call centre, the park board and Animal Control.

“What are these people doing in this park at one and two in the morning when it closes at 10 [p.m.]?” said Barnes. “They shouldn’t be there.”

Barnes has staff looking at ways to improve or replace the gate latch as a way to reduce the noise. “I feel like I need to take ownership of Dad’s park when I can hear a dog barking relentlessly at 1 a.m.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Va...573/story.html

Nice pic of the site from the internet:

http://lmaclean.ca/tag/emery-barnes-park/

Last edited by officedweller; Feb 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM.