View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:04 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Oh, this has nothing to do with Roy Moore. It has been a stigma attached to the state well before that. Ask most people who live in other regions of the country, and they'll say the same. So long as this exists, and residents/legislators of the state get defensive instead of considering of point of views of those on the outside looking in, Alabama will never achieve the economic and cultural diversity of it's neighbors to the south and east.

Not only calling out Alabama though. Mississippi has the same issue.
A lot of the residents have a right to be defensive. The ones who do consider outside points of view and value cultural and social diversity don't be deserve to be lumped into the same basket as, to use a Hillary term, the "Deplorables".

Now, I will agree that virtually all of our policy-makers have no right to be defensive when they actually wield the power to create change. But, it is not justifiable to have a blanket opinion of nearly 5 million people that exist in a polygon when there are plenty of people within that polygon, like myself, that donate money to the right causes/campaigns and speak out and cry foul when necessary, instead of hiding in the bushes and hoping someone else will step up.

So, I will get defensive when someone assumes that there are people just sitting around down here, when in reality there are many of us who have been actively working to effect change for decades.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State