Thread: Mohawk College
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 3:59 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
I'm not saying the programs and faculty aren't very good, but the facility itself sends no visual cues to incoming students that it's a place to gain adult skills, responsibilities, or perspectives.
I was at Mohawk last week and made the grave mistake of walking into the cafeteria through the checkout (I was trying to break a $5 to use the payphone). No less than three employees jumped up to inform me that I was not allowed to enter the cafeteria this way. I walked in anyway, and the cashier looked at me and said, "Well, I guess you wouldn't be expected to know." (Jeez, do I look that old?)

A moment later, two students carrying trays walked in the same way and a guy who looked like a security guard physically barred their path, ordering them to go around to the entrance - and not to bring in any food unless they wanted to pay for it a second time.

When people complain about the vagaries of aging, events like this help to remind me of how much I resented being a second-class citizen when I was still a late teen / young adult.