View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
You are seeing this building correctly, this is indeed terra cotta that is not directly a part of a masonry construction, but is instead clipped onto each facade panel in a pre-fabricated piece. Yes probably done for expansion/contraction, water handling, lighter weight, less labor, & ease of maintenance.

Grenfell tower in London? Completely different. That building affixed flammable insulation to the exterior of a concrete facade, and that insulation is what caught fire all the way up. This building acts more like a traditional curtain wall skyscraper instead of a masonry building, where the facade is built from non-combustible & fire-rated components and hangs on the structure.

Thank you. I was confused as to what I was looking at along with the usage of the term 'cladding', hence the bunny trail to Grenfell. Unless I am watching re-runs of Gilligan's Island, I guess I expect a building to have a solid surface for the facade. I suspect that the honey bees in Central Park would enjoy the protected space behind.