View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
What are they protecting exactly? Every progressive city has gardens like this in between skyscrapers and high density buildings.
If I read the schedule in this act - of areas that it covers: It would cover the blocks including Trillium, Parmount/YMCA and the Park Lane Shopping Centre; it covers the high density block west of the gardens (where the Royal Bank is now) and the high density block south of the gardens (including the private school).

Now; something in the back of my head is saying that this was a temporary piece of legislation. In fact; it says that in the purpose statement section b:
"The purpose of this act is to... (b) protect the Halifax Public Gardens and surrounding area for an interim period to enable the Province to develop provincial land-use policies applicable to the protected area pursuant to the Planning Act. 1991, c. 3, s. 2.".

I'm thinking this act may have been repealled when the planning act was replaced with the MGA? I've got a contact with SNSMR - I'll ask tomorrow. But certainly it wasn't considered with the DA's for Trillium, Parmount and any of the other towers that went up around there...??