View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 3:02 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Yes, that's part of the problem. Sidewalk riding is not allowed, but the zone for the pilot has few bike lanes except those on Roosevelt and the sharrows on Fillmore. Scooters are not allowed in Hance Park or in the ground of the Biomedical Campus. It's hard to know where someone trying to abide by the rules is supposed to ride -- at least in downtown Phoenix. I know it's a different situation in Tempe.
According to the rules set for the scooters, the scooters are supposed alert the rider and cut to a 4 mph tops speed if taken in a zone that does not allow for riding (i.e. ASU campus). Problem is that Lime and Bird are not abiding by the location rules set forth in the agreement with the city of Phoenix which is what's allowing the scooters to be able to be parked/ridden anywhere.

In reply to SunDevil's comment about parking build-outs, not sure if you have been to downtown to check out the scooter pilot, but clearly marked dedicated scooter parking zones have been laid out all over by by the City of Phoenix. Dozens of locations on nearly ever corner in the test zone...some on the street, some on the sidewalk. They can't be missed. Two of the scooters I seen yesterday were parked on the sidewalk a mere few feet from the designated scooter parking zone. This is not a build issue. This is simply a lazy rider to self-involved to park a scooter 5 feet away in a properly marked zone. This is where geo-enforcement from the scooter manufacturer needs to come into play and force the rider to park and ride properly.

I do concur, there needs to be dedicated bike lanes on the main roadways (who wants to ride the 7's without a protected bike lane??). But several of the riders I have witnessed so far on the sidewalks were in areas where there are current marked bike lanes, yet they were on the sidewalk.