View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 8:32 PM

I love the name, logo is pretty good, like the gold but hate that it's red instead of gold. Our city colours are blue and gold, and considering this team is being run by the Winnipeg Football Club (Bombers), I'm shocked they didn't go with blue & gold.

When they were first developing this league years ago, the original plan was to only go into non-CFL and non-MLS markets, and be a pretty "minor" league. As they went on CPL, along with FIFA, realized there was a much bigger market than they anticipated, and changed their plan. Halifax, York, and Victoria (Port City) were all in the original discussions, which is why they're here now. It will be interesting to see how many CFL teams work with or run these soccer teams. AFAIK the Bombers are the only one that actually own their CPL team (so far). Halifax will go from zero to two "Canadian major league" teams by 2020.

This is considered a Tier 1 FIFA league. CPL is structured like every soccer league in the world as a club-based league except MLS, which is franchise-based. This means that the league doesn't own the clubs, and clubs can technically move around between leagues based on a number of factors.

If MLS was club-based like all the others, a team from CPL could easily move up if warranted, but for that to happen in current structures, a team would need to prove it's profitable enough to buy a franchise license from MLS – very unlikely in the next decade. CPL, like CFL, will have roster minimums for Canadian talent (apparently 75%). MLS requires I believe 51% of their teams to be American players – including the Canadian teams, as it's an American league. There's rumours going around that MLS is looking at changing this rule for the Canadian teams.