View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 3:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, Syria and Somalia are in the "seven countries" that have been identified by Trump. Including the revised version of the ban he put forward very recently.

It's unclear at this point what will be the permanent effects and enforcement of the ban, but if you were a Somalian or a Syrian with no determined status and currently sitting in the U.S., would you want to take the risk that you could be sent back to the war zone? Or would you try to get to Canada?
The travel ban was struck down by the courts if I recall correctly, perhaps the fact that it goes against the US' treaty obligations was one of the reasons.

Also, the fact that asylum seekers freely flaunt any and all border laws bugs me. Sounds like a recipe for benefits shopping. This is neither the wording nor intent of the UN treaty.

Look, I know that people don't just leave their homes for no reason but I don't agree that it's anyone and everyone's right to come to Canada because their own country is not doing great. If your life's in danger you cross the nearest border and get put in a refugee camp. From there, you apply to come to Canada. What's so hard to understand?