View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 7:01 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I find that the fact that there is always so much more controversy than in other places about who to invite to "represent" at major events (Pan Am, NBA All-Star Game, etc.) is very symptomatic of a contemporary soul-searching about who ''we'' are and what our culture is all about.
I think you're reading more into this than there is. I never puzzle as to what my Canadian culture is but when you host a big event it needs to be somewhat representative of your city/country.

Kanye West at the Pan Ams? He was pretty much the last person they should have gotten. A crass, vulgar, low brow, egomaniac with a ridiculous sense of his self importance? That's who Toronto wanted to showcase to the rest of America? They didn't need to hire a Canuck but at least get someone who doesn't make one vomit at the mere mention of his name.