View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Yup, I can't fathom that the province and federal governement will fund parts of it while they are "studying" all projects in Quebec and Ottawa. BTW the Quebec finance minister said basically, that feds or no feds, the REM project is going ahead in Montréal. I still can't believe how the federal government dropped the ball on transit investments. The Québec government is still mad about it and it shows.
I dunno about Montreal, but in Ottawa, our mayor says he's gotten confirmation from Sohi's office that Phase 2 of the LRT will get its federal funding in the coming weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
BTW, the REM is supposed to MAKE money for the governments, and not LOSE money like other transit projects in Canada. So how is it fair that transit projects are basically done on the whim of politicians in other provinces and my taxes are paying for that? I'm still furious that Ottawa LRT is not light metro because of this.
Well, technically, the Ottawa LRT will "make money" in the sense that it will reduce operating costs considerably from what they are now, due to the huge volume of bus service that will be replaced with cheaper-to-run LRT. It's not insignificant either--Phase 1 alone is expected to reduce costs by $15 million a year.