View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 3:26 PM
Registered Ugly

I've only been in Portland for about 2 years, and know the area really well as I lived in Lansing for about 10 years. I remember laughing at the development at Hagadorn and Mt. Hope when it came through our office at Meridian Township 10 years ago when I was an intern. Not that I don't like to see that kind of development. But it's the context. It's a mixed use development close to the road across from the farm fields on MSU's campus, which there is no municipal land use jurisdiction and wouldn't likely be developed in the same fashion. But it sounds like maybe things are creeping. I just don't put any faith whatsoever in MSU's land use and planning decisions. It's very obvious that whoever is in charge over there couldn't care less how its developed, just that it is developed. I imagine any big institution with a seemingly endless supply of land would do the same.

I'm with you on the Abbot/Grand River development. This time it's looking like a go. I've been watching this thing for so long that it's hard not to be a little cynical. There were actually functional businesses in there when I went to MSU. Thai Hut, the bank was still open, curiosity book shop, etc.

On another topic, whatever happened to that East Village proposal that was floated a looooong time ago? Basically that whole area where the frat houses and Cedar Village was supposed to get dozed and completely redeveloped. Also, that section of Grand River from Bogue to Hagadorn was supposed to get a median and new streetscape. Any info on that?