View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
I'm pretty sure in Robert Towne's original script of THE TWO JAKES, the sequel to CHINATOWN, the movie was supposed to end on that morning in January 1949... the last image was to be Los Angeles covered in falling snow.
That would've been great!

___

In a quick search I found two references to this. One is a 1985 article about why the sequel to Chinatown never got made.
(It would five years later.)

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...n-robert-towne

The other is from a 2002 New York Times article about "snow" in the movies and the writer talks about his
fascination about Hollywood filming these snow scenes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/03/movies/holiday-movies-the-snow-is-in-our-hearts.html

At the end he writes:

In ''The Two Jakes,'' as Robert Towne had written it and was going to direct it in 1985, there is a scene that never made it to the film that Jack Nicholson ultimately directed. His character from ''Chinatown,'' Jake Gittes, makes his farewells with the woman who is Faye Dunaway's character's sister and daughter in the earlier film. She is leaving L.A. but says she'll be back. When? asks Gittes. ''First snow on the ground,'' she says.

Gittes replies sourly, ''The next time will probably be the first time,'' but then the scene dissolves to snow falling, and the Los Angeles Times headline -- from 1947, I think -- when that rarity happened, and this stage note: ''The headline dissolves into the streets of L.A. from Cahuenga to La Brea. From Mulholland to City Hall, filled with falling snow, and occasional pedestrians filled with joy at finding themselves in it, and occasionally finding each other.''

Note: We know the writer has the date wrong--it's 1949.

I wonder if that original screenplay is available anywhere to read. It seems this writer had read it someplace.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jan 12, 2017 at 7:37 PM.