View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 13, 2004, 10:34 PM

Ex-Ithacan: Nice hearing your input. I like the pics, particularly the shot of Scranton from the Central Scranton Expressway that over- looks the old Lackawanna Station. Interesting to note, that among the buildings in downtown Scranton is the Scranton Times building which once had a very tall tower of polished aluminum 3 or 4 stories in itself. It was a standout on Scranton's then skyline.
As to saving the Hotel Sterling, you'll be happy to know that an organization has succeeded in getting rid of the previous owner (who allowed the building to fall to shreds) by processing his considerable tax delinquencies to wrest the property. The building has been secured against the elements and it is proposed for reclamation, hopefully as hotel or mixed use. The oriiginal, 7 story aspect is well over 100 years old, very very elegant spaces. The tower is newer, 1930'3 or 40's? and contains a luxury apartment on top. I think that the org saving it is called the Diamond City Partnership ( list of their projects appears ont the Wilkes-Barre chamber of Commerce website, I think). They are also proposing a riverside
performance area of some consequence and a Susquehanna River Museum in the area. They had intended to use the Irem Temple building and auditorium nearby ( a Moorish, style fantasy built by the Shriners with four minarets & a large auditorium (North Franklin Street)...neat bulding, but probably won't after all.