Thread: Winnipeg Retail
View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 9:35 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
ur example fails to work though u had a company that went bust along with most of ur music stores at that time......... also a&b is just best buy now

calgarys downtown location closed around ours i remember this cause i shopped at both winnipeg and calgarys downtown locations, and shoped at the big blow out in calgary's.............
The A&B Sound in downtown Calgary went under because the building they occupied was sold.

If you don't like my example with A&B Sound what happened to all of the higher end retailers that left Portage Place and were replaced by a big box Staples and locations of the dollar store and other discount retailers?

Why is the Holt Renfrew location nothing more than a makeup counter? Meanwhile in Calgary it has expanded to the size of a department store.

Why is The Bay a hell hole with no merchandise and no shoppers?

Regardless. Retail in downtown Winnipeg will continue to struggle until there are enough people working downtown and the core becomes an attractive place to hang out and shop.

Right now the only people spending time downtown outside of business hours are the people that loiter in the Portage Place food court nursing a small coffee from Tim Hortons to get out of the cold.

I wonder what would happen to the downtown core if you actually saw beat cops walking the streets on a regular basis?

My guess is that anyone with anything to hide (outstanding warrants, drugs in their backpack etc) would flee like cockroaches out of fear that they would be recognized or busted. Its nice to have the Winnipeg BIZ or the generic rent-a-cops but they don't really do much except ensure things don't get completely out of hand.