View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Perhaps if the City of Winnipeg increased the price of on-street parking in this area, much like they did around the MTS Centre, it would smash the glass ceiling that we have on prices in this area for evenings and weekends. People who use will have to pay for it and those who bike/transit don't.

Why should $5 million of my tax money go to a parkade when I don't own a car?

I have heard the argument about "people paying for things they don't use all the time," mostly about school taxes, but it creates a better society. Parking lots and parkades create all sorts of negitive externalities -- they are not good things.

I also know that the $5 million isn't actually tax money, it's proceeds from the sale of the other parkade, but it still could be used some other more productive way.

I'm fairly certain that City Council doesn't have the words "opportunity cost" in their vocabulary.
I don't think stagnating the growth of residential in the exchange is a 'good thing' in order to wait for those willing to buy a condo and immediately go entirely car free.

I'm of the opinion that this parkade in the exchange can accelerate the residential growth, which in turn will reduce car dependence on those that choose to move there (even if they still own a car). Hopefully then we reach that 'critical mass' that everyone always talks about allowing the required services to establish themselves in the exchange - reducing the reliance on cars even more for those existing (and future) residents.

We need to walk before we can run, so to speak.