View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It will probably be the biggest tourist attraction in NJ from the day it opens. It's also good in that it's a transit-oriented development, and part of the recentering of the metropolitan area into the core.
When I look at the Meadowlands Sports and Entertainment Complex, the last thing that comes to mind is transit-oriented development. I'm aware there is a NJ Transit stop nearby, but I can't see transit gaining much of a share of the the model split with the car.

Quote:
And it offers many things just not available elsewhere (indoor amusement park, indoor ski hill, mega-ferris wheel, etc.). It should draw a ton of tourists who otherwise would stick mostly to Manhattan.
Not a good thing, IMO. It's like tourists who come to Manhattan and take a bus to Woodbridge Center Mall. Why? Far cheaper places in the world if wanting to patronage a suburban mall.

Quote:
And the retail demand has been huge. They're lining up practically every luxury retailer in existence. They even got Saks to relocate from Mall at Short Hills, which is one of the most profitable luxury shopping centers on earth.
Malls are in the decline in many places across the country, but this new one is suppose to be a success? Personally, it's a tricky place to get too by car, let alone by transit.

Quote:
On the other hand, yeah, why is a shopping/amusement/entertainment complex receiving public subsidies? The problem is that so many billions have been sunk into the complex, so it makes sense to finish.
There is a reason why the private market wouldn't build this crap. If it ever does opens, I bet it goes the way of the Izod Center. If it ever opens.