View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
What you don't find the Damen underpass into Pilsen as warm and inviting as I do?
Hahaha! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Fact of the matter is that Chicago was far more intensely industrial at it's peak than even China today. Industry simply doesn't concentrate like it used to. It requires far more spread out infrastructure than turn of the century multi floor factories and warehouses. This combined with the fact that they were built 100 years ago means a lot of our infrastructure isn't as pretty as the new stuff you see in China. That's ok though, the industrial aesthetic is Chicago as much as second empire is Paris. It defines the place and has now been embraced by our city rather than rejected as a sign of blight. That's the greatest thing about what is going on in the West Loop and other areas. We are reviving these buildings and infrastructure to preserve it for posterity.
I agree completely. I much prefer the integrated industrial look of 19th Century Chicago to the post modern and modernist look of China's newer cities. But I also like dark bleak places, old castles and rainy days - not sure why I moved to Southern California...