View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 5:58 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Kimpton Hotel & Apartments:
Something interesting to think about, as you enter this building: The revolving doors are made of silver!

Credit: Adam Sebastian

50 West Fourth Street:
This view of the Kimpton Hotel project also includes 50 West Fourth. We rarely see any updates on 50 West Fourth Apartments & Retail. I'll take what I can find!

Credit: Julia Hood

Chatham Mill: (Former Western Electric Complex)
Construction on this adaptive reuse project will begin in March 2015. The project includes office space and 166 apartments, which are expected to be completed in December 2015.

Plant 64:
rmhpmi posted several updates on different construction projects at WSTB. I'll share just two that are resized. To see more images and bigger images, be sure to visit his updates there and let him know you liked the updates!

Be sure to look at the elevated rail area where rmhpmi (the photographer) was standing. We'll talk about this below, as part of a proposed Light Rail corridor and Bicycle Super-Highway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB

Organic Thermoelectrics:
The Air Force Office of Scientific Research is funding Winston-Salem based research into "Organic Thermoelectrics: the matrix composite approach.” Maybe this will lead to another major tenant in the IQ District? It's amazing how much military funded research is happening in Winston-Salem.

Downtown Medical School:
Another "take what we can find" photograph. Our first photographic update of this project! They are breaking-out the glass block windows. The glass block windows will be replaced with windows that look similar to the original 1920s windows.

Credit: Erika Mac

Bailey Park @ East End:
Workers are installing the sod.

Credit: Adam Sebastian

Big Winston Market:
Yes, Big Winston Market was built and one of the tenants opened their business last month, but we can still talk about Broad Branch Distillery! This is downtown's second or third distillery. Their sign is now in place!

Credit: DWSP

Credit: Broad Branch Distillery

Credit: Broad Branch Distillery

We never did see a side view of the building. It appears as if windows and doors were added:

Credit: Oaks and Spokes

City Hospital Apartments: Built!
Though it was on our construction list for most of the year, we didn't see many updates on this project. I didn't think to check for updates on it. It was the conversion of an historic warehouse on East Fifth Street, built in 1930 on the former City Hospital property, into apartments. It's great to see another historic building reused. It was expected to gain LEED Silver certification.

Credit: Landmark Builders

Credit: Landmark Builders

I think this building was renovated just in time! In 2010 aerials, the roof appeared close to collapsing. I wish the developer and architect would've used similar windows to the original structure and restored the original entrance though. I can tell no tax credits were used.

Before Photograph of 1930 City Hospital Warehouse:

Credit: City of Winston-Salem (2007)

Alternative Transportation Options:

Winston-Salem Light Rail (LRT):
A first look at the Rails-to-Trails project, which will include a bicycle super-highway, walking path, and light rail transit (LRT). This is the light rail project County Commissioner Ted Kaplan said he wants to move forward during his term. This part of the light rail system is located on the east side of downtown (Innovation Quarter / Downtown's IQ District), along an old elevated double rail line. You can see this double rail line between Plant 64 and the medical school project. You can also see it behind 525@Vine and Inmar's new headquarters. It's where the Plant 64 update in this post (see Plant 64 update above) was taken.

Credit: Design Collective

Placemaking & Fun:

Corporate Equality Index:
4 of the top 10 highest scoring companies in North Carolina on the Corporate Equality Index, created by the Human Rights Campaign, are in Winston-Salem. The Human Rights Campaign is a national civil rights organization with a focus on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues. All three of Winston-Salem's Fortune 500 headquarters are in the top ten! Congratulations to Winston-Salem's Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, headquartered at One West Fourth Street, for their perfect score!

Favorite Winston-Salem Photograph of the Week:

Credit: Lacey Strube

RiverRun International Film Festival:
RiverRun International Film Festival was just named as an Academy Awards qualifying festival in the Short Animation category.

Streamline Art Moderne Bar:
I thought you may find this perfectly restored Streamline Art Moderne bar in Winston-Salem interesting. I think it was built in 1936 or 1937? They loved mirrors back then!

Credit: Small Museums Big Things

Downtown Restaurant in New York Times:
Sweet Potatoes Restaurant, on Trade Street in the Arts District, was in the New York Times story on Thanksgiving Recipes Across The United States. The article also includes a recipe from the downtown restaurant for Sweet Potato Cornbread. Scroll down and look for "North Carolina - Sweet Potato Cornbread" in the link below. I've tried this restaurant before and it is awesome. A must visit on a trip to Winston-Salem.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ates.html?_r=0