Thread: LEGO Skylines
View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 8:25 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb001 View Post
I'm surprised that was the first time you displayed it. Haven't you had it for a number of years? I'm sure the guys that did the LOTR layout at Brickworld last year would have loved to have included this in their landscape. I'm pretty sure it was open to anyone on MOCpages to contribute to.

500 ft huh? That seems about right judging by the movies. I can't believe Barad Dur is over 3000 ft though!
Tolkien gives the exact figure of 500 feet in his description of the top of Orthanc:
Quote:
Between them is a narrow space, and there upon a floor of polished stone, written with strange signs, a man might stand five hundred feet above the plain."
The four spikes make the entire structure taller, perhaps 570 feet to the "architectural top".

I had built a smaller (and less detailed) 4.5 foot high Orthanc model in 2004. I destroyed that model about two weeks ago as I neared the completion of the present 7.9 foot high Orthanc model.

J.R.R.Tolkien does not give an exact figure for the height of Barad-Dur. He does say something to the effect that Orthanc is like a toy in comparison. Some avid Tolkien readers have put together several passages from the "Lord of The Rings" book to suggest that figure of 3000+ feet. For example, the window of the eye at the top was supposedly level with the entrance to Mount Doom which was at 3,200 feet above the plateau of Gorgoroth.

Image Credit: ChessyKat / DeviantArt

To get away from Tolkien, I am starting to plan the construction of an 8.5 foot high model of Detroit's art-deco Guardian Building (as soon as the LUGBulk order arrives).

Last edited by DecoJim; Mar 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM.