View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 4:58 AM

Most of the performance issues that glass had in the past have been dramatically improved and glass is still getting better all the time. If you're renovating an old building with high performance windows it's possible that the windows are more insulating than the walls themselves are.

I think (or at least I hope) that the fake load bearing walls of the neo/revival styles will be looked back on as an awkward attempt at coming to terms with new construction and technology. While these problems apply to all buildings they're most clearly evident with the tall building. First there was the aesthetic problem of making a tall building work, and there were a lot of failed attempts from the late 1800s. Eventually a visual language suitable for tall buildings was developed but it was a bastardized frankenstein of older styles, and unrelated to the function and construction of the buildings.

And now we have a visual language which is unified with the building's construction and function. While the solution itself is relatively new, its architectural virtues are timeless.

I think one of the main changes going forward is that the novelty of the solutions that were developed has worn off, and there aren't the same performance problems, so architects are more free to do whatever is best for a building's particular situation. I agree that there will be less all-glass condo towers, but other building types may find themselves becoming more glassy.