View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 5:00 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2017 in Lugano, Switzerland

Lugano was special as it was not on my original itinerary. While the rest of Switzerland north of the Alps was having a wet and grey day, the mountains kept Lugano sunny. Chasing for good weather, I decided to do a day trip from Zurich to the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland. Surely, the weather did not disappoint as I headed out of the train station, which is elevated above the city centre.

Chiesa Santa Maria degli Angioli has beautifully-painted Renaissance frescoes. The church was built in the early 16th century.

Outside, a beautiful promenade along the lake stretches from the city centre to Paradiso.

Monte San Salvadore is 912m high and a funicular takes you most of the way to the observation point. From there, you get a 360-degree city view although part of the city's waterfront is blocked by the hill ahead.

The Swiss Travel Pass also includes ferries around Lugano. It was a bit windy on the outdoor deck, so I stayed indoors and popped out every now and then. This "cruise" is a wonderful way to see the city amidst its beautiful natural setting.

My destination would be Gandria, a town built on the steep hillside and also the start to the Olive Tree Trail.

More from the town in the next part.

My Lugano gallery : http://www.globalphotos.org/lugano.htm