View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 10:23 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
I knew I would get chastised for asking these questions, which is why I started out my post as "sort of off topic" in which a meant a girl, not necessarily the girl in question. I meant that question in a responsible way, which is when do we hold a person accountable for their sexual behaviour when drunk, in the same way we would if they were driving drunk. I'd say at this point in society, a girl who has mistakenly but made the choice to have sex when she is drunk is considered a victim, whereas a girl who has mistakenly but made the choice to drive drunk is considered a culprit.

I feel, and maybe I am wrong by society's standards, that the former is more easily to be sold as a victim case the next day when she realizes the mistake she made, as being pressured into drinking.

For example, if I meet a woman at a bar and we both get drunk and have sex that. Ought, can she more easily claim victim, saying I got her drunk, and not be held accountable for her decision.

I understand this is a touchy subject, which is why I contemplated even asking, but if I am silenced to ask these questions, or chastised for asking them like you have, how progressive really is our society to better understand the rules, boundaries, standards and expections we expect ourselves to be held accountable to?

Sorry if I hit a nerve...
Allow me to explain it in less combative terms. Comparing a girl getting drunk at a party or bar to a girl drinking and getting behind the wheel of a car is problematic for a few reasons. First it's a false equivalence because going out to have fun and drink legally should not be the same as risking your life operating a vehicle while impaired. Secondly driving drunk is illegal whereas last I checked women are allowed to consume alcohol if they are of age. Third you are shifting the blame from the perpetrators of sexual assaults and rape to the victims. This mentality is the same as "She was asking for it" if a woman dresses provocatively.