View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 6:44 PM

Proposal - Hwy 10 Freeway

I've looked at the Gateway program and one thing I noticed is lacking is a good, direct connection between the Trans Canada Highway and Hwy 99. The South Fraser Perminiter Road is supposed to serve as that connection, but westbound TCH 1 traffic will need to go as far west as Hwy 15 before following the Fraser River and connect with Hwy 99 near Ladner. I predict that once the SFPR is completed, because of its proximity to the ports an industrial areas of Surrey and Delta, it will have have a lot of truck traffic and will not be an attractive option for traffic heading for Vancouver Island or Roberts Bank.

A common trend for most cities is to build an outer bypass route so traffic wanting to go through the city has an option to go around it, this is evident in Western Canada with Hwy 201/Stoney Trail in Calgary, and Hwy 216/Anthony Henday Drive in Edmonton. While Vancouver has geographic limitations which prevent a ring road, a portion could serve that purpose with creation of the Hwy 10 freeway through Langley and Surrey. Traffic origionating east of Vancouver entering via TCH 1 could use Hwy 10 to connect with the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal, Robert's Bank, the US border via either Hwy 15 or 99 (bypassing downtown Cloverdale), or the Vancouver International Airport. The current Hwy 10 could be decomissioned along 56 Ave in favor of a true regional highway, and the future option could exist for a Fraser River crossing to connect with Hwy 7. It could serve as a Metro Vancouver SE bypass.

I enclosed a map of my idea:

Any thoughts?