View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2005, 1:27 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascraperdude
I wonder why the sponsors are dropping?

Is it because the Kings are performing poorly?

Or are the Maloofs negociating poorly to build yet one more case to leave the City. Remember, the Commissioner wants a team here, but if the case is built that the area doesn't want the Kings...

Ok, maybe :tinfoilhat:... still...
It's most likely not an issue of the Kings performing poorly that would make Southwest leave. It's due more likely to the value they are getting out of their sponsorship vs. the money they are shelling out. I work in advertising, and last week we were going over the 2006 budgets for one of my clients who has naming rights to a stadium and stadium sponsorships in multiple markets. Those sponsorships are amazingly expensive, and there's little to no ROI to show on them except for the fact that their name is in front of "X" number of people each year. For Southwest, I'm sure it was a product of a marketing exec for Southwest going, "wait a minute, 98% of the Sacramento market is aware of the Southwest brand, and we're spending how much to remind them of that? I'd rather sponsor a stadium in Denver, which is a new market for us, and get much more traction out of that money."

It's most likely an issue of pure economics. You're going to start to see this around the country, btw. But the Kings should be able to pick up another sponsor that it makes more sense for.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon