View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post
If I had a dime for every render with trees on top of buildings...
These rarely if ever materialize in real life. Growing trees on a building poses very significant challenges that few designers seem to take into account when putting out initial renders. Never mind growing entire mini forests on spread on several setbacks and nooks and crannies... It falls under the same category as semi-translucent people and kids on bikes populating many renders. Not gonna happen.

I'll be happy if we at least get a green roof though, a la Vancouver convention centre. It looks great and is more than enough trouble to maintain with just grass and small shrubbery.
I think it isn't a design issue, but cost issue...

So for a green roof, as you go from grass to trees; what changes is the depth of your soil and so the weight per square meter on your structure increases.

So really the complexity would be a structural problem - which wouldn't be too complex, you would just need to adjust your structure to support the extra load.

What would be the key factor would be $$. Since the weight is accumulative (that is to say if your green roof is on the 5th floor; the structure on floor 4th, 3rd and so forth would need to accumulate the additional weight) so all the columns size would increase on all floors.

So to speak, adding a green roof that can support tree is almost like adding an addition floor or two in terms of $$.