View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 7:40 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post

If I understand correctly, the new "Concourse B" will be able to accommodate 23 757 type aircraft at one time. Any larger aircraft, such as a 767/787 or an (oh, what the heck) A380 would temporarily reduce that number due to air-side space constraints.

By contrast, I believe Terminal A has 12 gates with the possibility of adding four more.

There is also plenty of room for expansion as the Central Terminal can grow to the south and a new "Concourse C," also with 23 gates, can be built to the west.

What I had heard was that Terminal A would likely become a strictly Southwest concourse and, in the later stages, also be connected to the Central Terminal by an APM. Please note: no one knows for sure right now the negotiations have a long way to go. At this point, no one knows what the final airline distribution will be.

Also note the way the ticket counters are spaced as islands and not against the wall. This allows for greater efficiency (two access sides instead of one) and greater flexibility. They've really done this well.

When you think of some of the mediocrity that Sacramento has either accepted or been forced to endure, God it's great to see something that has aimed high from the beginning.

I can't wait!
I think they will be able to accomodate just about any sized aircraft at the gates. (Runway issues withstanding)... Although i got the impression that they are planning on seeing only 767 and the comparable Airbus variant and possibly the dreamliner 787... Anything larger would probably be weather diverted aircraft from SMF.. (Just a guess on my part)..

I believe Terminal A can be expanded by a total of 6 gates (4 in the Southwest Concourse) and two more on the Southeast side of Terminal.

And i think you're right Travis about Southwest possibly taking all of Terminal A (Which was built with input from Southwest in regards to passenger waiting and boarding.) But that's just my own hunch. There will in fact be a second APM once The Central Terminal is expanded (around 2020). At that time the Central Terminal will begin handling all baggage claim and ticketing.