View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 1:48 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I swear, if I could look at old pictures all day of familiar areas and compare past and present - I would be a very content person.

Is there some job that pays you to do this...? If so, I think I missed my calling in life.

Thanks for posting this stuff guys.

I took the time to research my house in Wolesley last year. It was pretty cool getting copies of the original building permit, plumbing permit and finding out that the architect (V.W. Horwood) of my very modest house was also helped design many more prominent buildings in the city (Law Courts, old UofM buildings, St. Boniface civic buildings and firehall).

I also searched and found the obituary for the original owner of our house and discovered that she was a "Winnipeg Pioneer", who had moved to the city in the 1860's... of course I also found out that she died in our house, which is kinda spooky, but serves me right for looking it up in the first place...
You could always work in the archives .. if thats your thing.

I have spent many days the the Hudson Bay archives .. including researching 2 papers.. and really think its one the the coolest places to spend an afternoon. That company has such an interesting history... and Winnipeg played such a big part of it.

I am sure the University archievs are just as interesting.