View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 8:20 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
As an SFU student I am thrilled about this possibility!

I have been wondering what they mean about "two" bus routes being replaced by this gondola. The 145 is obvious, but what is the other one? The 144 which travels between Sperling and SFU via Duthie/Hastings? I dont think it would be the 143 either, since afaik it is supposed to be integrated into the Evergreen Line at Como Lake and Clarke.
My guess is the 143.
Its route is mostly served by other buses on Como Lake Road. It's primarily a way to connect Coquitlam Centre with SFU. It does that in about 30 minutes.

When the EG line starts, One option students will have will be to switch to the much faster train, and transfer at University Station. From Coquitlam to Lougheed will be 13 minutes. Total 15 minutes to Production-Way.

Yes, factor in the slog up the hill (15 minutes) and the total time will probably be "about" the same when you add in the transfer, but I think most will prefer the comfort of the train... along with the frequency and predictability.

There may still be a need for a bus along Como Lake, but if there were a Gondola, they would probably end up having to transfer. That's just a thought, and it would depend on demand, were such a Gondola constructed.

The EG will definitely take people away from the 143, though, that's for sure.

They could also mean the 144, but that bus is the only bus that serves Duthie, along with quite a few destinations in central Burnaby.