View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 11:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

TigerTown Unites On Opening Night

Hamilton, Ontario - The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today an action-packed event lineup for the CFL Home Opener, presented by Primus, at Ivor Wynne Stadium on Thursday, June 26th.

"It is a great honour for us in Hamilton to kick off the season opener for the CFL in what is always one of the most anticipated games of the Canadian sports scene," said president Scott Mitchell. "It is a marquee event and we owe it to our great league and all of the fans in TigerTown to kickoff the 2008 season in an exciting and unique fashion. We have spent considerable time and effort in making sure this will be a season opener worth remembering for all CFL fans, and it is most definitely a 'must see event'. From the newly created pre-game parties, to an unbelievable halftime show and onto the final whistle, there is going to be constant entertainment for our fans throughout Ivor Wynne. This is a new era in Tiger- Cats football, and we want to invite all of our fans to join us in TigerTown for the kickoff to the CFL season."

The game will also launch the CFL's 'This is Our League' campaign, which highlights the game's unique ability to bring Canadians together - a sentiment captured in a moving CFL produced video that will be aired in stadium during the game - and the season debut of the CFL on TSN, now the league's exclusive television partner and the new network of the Grey Cup.

"We are looking forward to a great season of football on the field, and a year-long celebration of our league and what it means to our country beyond the sidelines," said Mark Cohon, Commissioner of the Canadian Football League. "I know that celebration will get off to a tremendous start with our league opener in Hamilton. Bob Young and the entire Tiger-Cats organization are going all out to ensure it's going to be a very special night."

One of the highlights of the night will allow TigerTown fans to be part of sports history when they witness illusionist, former Las Vegas star and International Entertainer of the Year, Greg Frewin, perform an illusion never before attempted at a live sporting event.

"I am thrilled to head back to my hometown of Hamilton for the CFL season opener," said Frewin. "On top of that, attempting an illusion that has never been done in professional sports is going to be exciting for me and for everyone in attendance."

Comedian and actor Martin Short also returns to his hometown of Hamilton to take in all the excitement of opening night at Ivor Wynne Stadium.

"Some of the greatest moments of my childhood were spent at Ivor Wynne Stadium cheering on Bernie Faloney and the boys," said Short. "There's nothing hipper than the CFL. I pity the American's envy."

Other must-see opening night highlights include:

- F-14 fighter jets and a warplane from the Canadian Warplane Heritage

Museum will once again add to the roar at Ivor Wynne when they fly over top of the stadium moments before the opening whistle to celebrate Canada and its only truly Canadian professional sports league, the Canadian Football League.

- The electrifying new Ticats team intro when pyrotechnics, a new opening animation and exciting and energetic displays all culminate to lead the 2008 Ticats on to the field in dramatic fashion.

- A stunning, brand new line of Ticats merchandise will be available to fans in four beautiful new kiosks located throughout the stadium.

- The 2008 Ticats Cheerleaders, presented by The London Tap House, unveil the 2008 team in their brand new uniforms.

This and so much more will be sure to make Thursday, June 26th a night to remember.

Fans are encouraged to arrive early as the excitement gets underway when the gates open at 5:30pm for all the pregame festivities. The revamped Pepsi Pre-game area and brand new Carling Zone will host live bands and interactive games and contests for fans to take in prior to the game.