View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
No apologies necessary. The building of a centralized provincial museum is an important milestone for the province and this required a bit of an exclamation point anyway!

BTW, glad to see you take some interest in the PEI thread. Since it seems that there are currently no resident Islanders on the forum, I guess it's up to us mainlanders to keep an eye on things.

Like Matt said, I'm from PEI but I haven't lived there since 1979. I feel like a mainlander now more than I do an Islander. That's kinda sad in some ways.
That's Islander talk. No matter how long you live elsewhere you will still have the Island dialect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Major condo proposed for waterfront
WAYNE THIBODEAU
The Guardian

Above is a sketch of the proposed Charlottetown waterfront condominium and spa that would total 85,000 square feet. The proposed condominium, which if built would go behind Founder’s Hall, is being brought forward by a Newfoundland developer. Guardian graphic

A new, four-storey condominium complex and spa is being proposed for the Charlottetown waterfront.
The 85,000-square-foot complex, which includes two buildings, would tower next to Founder’s Hall at 4 Prince Street on the lot of land between Founder’s Hall and Lobster on the Wharf.
Paul Madden, a Newfoundland developer, is proposing the new development.
He’s well known in and around St. John’s for developments that include the Spa at the Monastery, The Narrows, and the purchase of the old Capital Theatre, which is being turned into a live performance space in the Newfoundland capital city. The purchase price alone for the theatre was $800,000.
Kim Devine, the councillor responsible for planning in Charlottetown, said the city is looking for input from Charlottetown residents before approving the development.
“Quite often people express opinions about the waterfront. Some like what’s down there, others don’t like what’s down there,’’ Devine said, in an interview.
“This is a really good opportunity to come out and let council know what they would like to see on their waterfront.’’
A public meeting on the new development will be held Wednesday, Nov. 26, at 7 p.m. at the Rodd Charlottetown in the Georgian Room.
During a recent meeting, Charlottetown city council agreed to go to the public consultation phase for the development.
Rob Lantz, who also sits on the planning committee, said the Newfoundland developer had planned to go ahead with a bigger development that would have included a hotel.
But Lantz said the developer decided against the hotel, saying the hotel market in the city is already saturated.
The majority of the building will now be condominiums, with the spa located on the main floor. There would be semi-underground parking, four feet of which would be underground. The building would stand 50 feet high, making it taller than the neighbouring Founder’s Hall.
The land is owned by the Charlottetown Area Development Corporation.
The proposal has gone before planning board. It is expected to be brought to council for final approval in December, following this month’s public meeting.
Devine said the project is larger than what the official plan calls for. The plan calls for a building about 36,000 square feet. The proposal is more than twice that size.
Lantz said he doesn’t want to overcrowd the waterfront.
“And we’re getting there. At some point, it needs to stop.’’

Personal note - only on PEI would a four storey building be accused of towering over anything. Also, I find the statement about overcrowding the waterfront laughable as well, but it is certainly good to see new development coming on stream downtown.
The tower looks nice. Maybe with a coupld of new projects around the Island an islander might join the forums and hopefully take ownership of this thread.