View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
So, two contrasting groups of people have been talked about who have not visited the US.

One, involves very small town, far-from-the-border, people who were native-born Canadians for generations, but have rarely travelled outside their zone of familiarity.

The other involves big-city dwelling folks who are first generation immigrants that though living in very diverse and multicultural cities, have also rarely travelled outside their zone of familiarity.

Which one is more likely?
I'm going to say probably the latter.

My argument: Disney World and Las Vegas are huge destinations that are reasonably accessible and have no equivalents in Canada. Thus, even Canadians that are relative homebodies will go at least once in their lives, if nothing else. Call it the trip of a lifetime.

First generation immigrants who may (or may not be) citizens probably have more barriers. Getting a passport might be more challenging, crossing the border can be a hassle and the current climate in the US may deter them. Also, first generation immigrants may use their discretionary income to travel back home for a visit, rather than to a tourist attraction in the US.

But I'm speculating here.