Thread: Gore Park
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 2:47 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
A full pedestrian mall I don't think is needed at this point. If the mayor wants people downtown, then he has to have places along King Street that will attract people to come downtown. King Street near Gore Park needs cafe's on one side, and shops that will actually draw people.

And can I say one thing about the buses.

Moving the buses from Gore Park I think is the worst idea ever. The buses are the reason Gore Park and that area of King Street is busy. Remove the buses, and Gore Park will be hardly used at all.

You notice that when you are downtown at night. Many streets are quiet, yet Gore Park is packed, because people are getting on buses. Buses are the lifeblood of the park.
Not completely, true Mike.
During the daytime, The Gore is PUMPING with life: business ppl, transit riders, sightseers, passers-by...
At night, the PARK is mostly full of transit riders, however the sidewalks are often packed (esp during the summer) with people sitting at Infussion's Cafe, Finger's bar & Grill, Chester's Beer of the Worlds. I have YET to see anyone in Taj Mahal's patio (summertime or anytime). At night, Thu-Sun, if you walk behind the bldgs that face Gore, there's The Embassy Club with their HUGE double-decker outdoor patio/balcony. You can hear the club's music all the way from King/James.

When the city removes the buses from Gore, they'll likely keep the Hub in the general area (either lot beside Piggot or Hunter St @ The GO). Therefore, people will still either choose to or be forced to walk through the Gore. Not as many people will travel through, but these transit riders don't use these businesses anyway. It's the people who have the time to eat, drink, talk, etc. who stop at most of these places.

I can tell you for a fact that most ppl I know wont eat/drink/talk at a patio in Gore Park at the moment b/c it's simply too loud. Busses squeeling, roaring by, normal cars flying down the cobblestone road, etc. It's not an ideal place in it's current state... give it a cpl years, when there are no more distractions and a better BIA, the Gore will be THE place (next to Hess I guess) to be in Hamilton.