View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
In St. John's, I am clinging to the job I brought home with me for dear life. I was working in Winnipeg and, instead of applying for a transfer to the Calgary, Toronto, or Montreal offices, I applied to become a Virtual Employee (meaning I work from home) in St. John's.

A comparable job to the one I have simply doesn't exist here. There are similar jobs, that pay less than half as much and are far more administrative than creative - but that's it.

If I am laid off, I will have to move back to the mainland to start over and try to find a company that will allow me to work from St. John's... or I have to take a local job with substantial cuts to my current pay and responsibilities. I don't want to go from where I am to being some Communications Officer in some provincial government department for $27,000/year. I can't do it.
I'm actually a former journalist looking to re-deploy my skills in a communications job, and I've been looking specifically at gigs in universities, non-profits, and government in Nova Scotia (and to some degree across the country, but mainly Halifax). I haven't seen anything that pays less than 40k, even for entry and mid-level positions. Most are well above that. So, have optimism on that front, maybe? I think the lowest paid thing I've seen was 35k, for a job with a barely keeping-it-together non-profit. Most are well above that, though, on par with the rest of the country. (By contrast, Toronto salaries for journalists suck. Most of my former newspaper colleagues made in the upper 30s to 50, except for the old guys who'd been around forever and ever and had what amounts to newspaper tenure.)