View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 2:28 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The LCBO/Beer Store duopoly is fucking terrible. The selection of wines is generally awful. Why should I be forced to drink swill like Dan Ackroyd and Girls night out, just b/c it is from Ontario? There are some nice Niagara wines, but much better Okanagan wines, and still better delights from the continent, Australia, etc. Yes, there are some sampler wines from these regions, but hit or miss, and very little selection. THE HOURS ARE FUCKING STUPID. Banker's hours. Need some wine for dinner? Sorry, we close at 6pm. Oh, going out to a friends for dinner on sunday? Sorry, many locations closed on Sunday. Always closed, Always crowded, always overpriced. And for godsakes, get rid of the fugly uniforms.

Maybe things are different in London but I have very few complaints about the LCBO. Generally better selection than most of the independent stores I have been to in Alberta or the US and better price-points on high end beers (not sure about wine but from what I hear the selection at flagship stores is hard to beat). Low end stuff is more expensive yes, but this personally isn't a big deal for me and wouldn't change with privatization anyways, unless minimum pricing laws also changed. I am not aware of any store in central Toronto outside of the PATH that closes before 9pm weekdays and most are now open until 6 on Sunday. Yeah this could be a bit better but it isn't that big of a deal. If I want wine late there are wine rack locations open until 11pm now. The only real complaint about the LCBO I have is the relative lack of microbrews from the US and Quebec, however this is beginning to be addressed.

I agree about everything regarding the Beer Store, it is garbage. My ideal situation would be to keep the LCBO, dissolve the Beer Store and allow limited sales of beer and wine at corner/grocery stores.