View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 3:06 PM

It's funny that the complaints about this design are that it stands out too much from its neighbors and is set back from the street etc. I think it's quite the opposite. Firstly this design is very much complementary of that wonderfully skinny 70s building next to it. In fact, it is so complementary that I think it actually begins to absorb that structure into the composition as a whole. The setback is actually extremely important in preventing this design from totally overshadowing that sliver of a building by leaving a small amount of the party wall exposed.

That brings me to my next point: how is everyone on here so vehemently outraged at the concept of any blank wall anywhere even if its 15 floors off the ground? I rather like the small sliver building explicitly for its soaring party walls and tiny amount of surface are dedicated to glass. I'm glad this building is not crammed all the way up against the street totally overshadowing its much daintier neighbor. Blank party walls are a major part of the texture of the city and leaving a small slice of the party wall of the tiny neighboring building exposed does a great job of leaving the impressive massing of that miniscule structure for all to see while still drawing it into the composition of its new companion to a certain degree.

I think I'm a big fan of this design.